Welcome to Diversity @ UCLA
UCLA is committed to fostering an inclusive climate for all the members of our Bruin community. This website provides a directory of diversity-related resources for undergraduate students, graduate students, faculty, staff and alumni. The menu buttons on the left-hand side of this screen take you to lists of informational resources for students, faculty, staff and alumni, as well as general diversity-related resources including disability resources, academic programs, institutes and centers and libraries. While every effort is made to ensure a welcoming and inclusive campus climate, there may be times when members of our community fall short of this goal. You may report any concerns and access resources about addressing bias, discrimination, or harassment here.
UCLA PRINCIPLES OF COMMUNITY
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) is an institution that is firmly rooted in its land-grant mission of teaching, research, and public service. The campus community is committed to discovery and innovation, creative and collaborative achievements, debate and critical inquiry, in an open and inclusive environment that nurtures the growth and development of all faculty, students, administration and staff. These Principles of Community are vital for ensuring a welcoming and inclusive environment for all members of the campus community and for serving as a guide for our personal and collective behavior.
- We believe that diversity is critical to maintaining excellence in all of our endeavors.
- We seek to foster open-mindedness, understanding, compassion and inclusiveness among individuals and groups.
- We are committed to ensuring freedom of expression and dialogue, in a respectful and civil manner, on the spectrum of views held by our varied and diverse campus communities.
- We value differences as well as commonalities and promote respect in personal interactions.
- We affirm our responsibility for creating and fostering a respectful, cooperative, equitable and civil campus environment for our diverse campus communities.
- We strive to build a community of learning and fairness marked by mutual respect.
- We do not tolerate acts of discrimination, harassment, profiling or other conduct causing harm to individuals on the basis of expression of race, color, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, religious beliefs, political preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, or national origin among other personal characteristics. Such conduct violates UCLA’s Principles of Community and may result in imposition of sanctions according to campus policies governing the conduct of students, staff and faculty.
- We acknowledge that modern societies carry historical and divisive biases based on race, ethnicity, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, and religion, and we seek to promote awareness and understanding through education and research and to mediate and resolve conflicts that arise from these biases in our communities.
The “Principles of Community” statement was developed by the Chancellor’s Advisory Group on Diversity, since renamed the UCLA Council on Diversity & Inclusion, which is comprised of representatives from administration, faculty, staff, students and alumni.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to have a resource added to any of these directories or if you have a question or suggestion.